Monday, October 15, 2007

My First Sports Injury

In July, I took up exercising as a serious sport. I have been going to the gym six days a week for three months now. In August, I worked out with my friend Sheila. She was doing wind sprints on the treadmill next to me. Wind sprints!! I was in AWE of what she was doing. She is a machine!! We talked (yes... she could carry on a CONVERSATION doing wind sprints!) and next thing you know, we were on the treadmill over an hour. When I stepped off the machine, my heel felt like I had bruised it. I felt something POP.

After talking with many people, I deduced that I tore the fascia tendon in my right foot. I did the stretches, iced it down nightly, and got off the treadmill and onto a bike. I cycle 15 miles a day, six days a week. I'm down 30lb and I feel really good. I even got a night splint. See?





A teacher friend had two surgeries on her feet, cutting the fascia because her fasciitis was so bad. She recommended her doctor to me, and off I went to make the appointment. A month later, I got in to see him. Turns out he's in pretty high demand as the sports medicine doctor for all the U.L. atheletes. He x-rayed my foot, and yeah, I have plantars fasciitis.

But I ALSO have a stress fracture in the bone. Look what he's making me wear:

This storm-trooper get up is snazzy, eh? I have to wear it for four weeks. It's called an Air Cast, and it comes with a gadget that fills the sides with air to tighten the cast around my foot. I can only take it off to drive and to sleep. I guess tennis is out of the question??

10 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

Glad you got some dx's and some treatment too. I know the brace isn't all that sexy but I know you can work it ;) Hope you feel better soon.

And girl, you are lookin great! I can definitely see the difference just in your face. Can't wait to see you in person!

11:52 PM  
Blogger caryn said...

Hey SUSAN!
I'm going to go call you RIGHT NOW!

7:25 PM  
Blogger Mrs. D said...

Hi Caryn,

Susan is right. You do look great! Sorry to hear about the injury, but your commitment to exercise is motivational!

Keep it up!
Jen

2:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Caryn! Sorry about your injury!

You play tennis?!? How did I miss that!

We should get together and hit once your feeling better!

5:34 PM  
Blogger caryn said...

Hey Crystal!
I'll be out of the air cast in one month (WAHHHHHH!!!!) and then I'll be in a tennis shoe (and physical therapy) for another month. After that, I'll be ready to go play tennis, girl!!!! Get ready!! :)

8:28 PM  
Blogger caryn said...

Hey Jen!

I'm glad to see that you don't have to be "incognito" on my blog!! :) heh heh!

Well, I am sure hoping that all this exercise pays off and doesn't land me in surgery with pins in my heel!!!!

Take care!

8:29 PM  
Blogger Mr. and Mrs. D said...

How is the foot?

6:43 PM  
Blogger caryn said...

Hey Jen,
Thanks for asking about the ol' foot. It's on the mend. I have six more days in the boot (Nov 11th I'm boot-free!!!). My foot feels less pain in it when I walk, but the ankle is weak and the calf is weak from being off of it for a month. Next step is a month in a tennis shoe. That will look real snazzy when I'm in a skirt, eh?

8:23 PM  
Blogger dylan said...

I have broken my right ankle a few times. I had to wear a hard cast for about 3 and half months, and then an aircast for 1 month. When did you do that to your ankle. And what kind of aircast was that.

11:13 AM  
Anonymous Orthopaedics Las Vegas said...

Some doctors may recommend the use of a non-steroid anti-inflammatory such as ibuprofen through out the duration of the injury.

6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home