Monday, March 19, 2007

Driven by Eternity

I just got through reading a fabulous book about eternity. Actually, when I think about it, the book was more about how we should be living NOW while we are here on earth and how we should be making plans for how we are going to spend eternity. The book is called "Driven by Eternity" by John Bevere. It was a powerful book that gets to the point of what should be our focus until we see Jesus. He stresses how important the Word of God is, and how as Christians, we must be in the Word more.


"Remember, we already know what will be the standard at judgment, 'the word that I have spoken will judge him in the last day.' " (John 12:48)

It's a great book. John Bevere gets a lot of flack from differing sides of the Christian community. He gets a lot of grief from people who are members of or pastors of certain types of churches because he basically slams the entire idea and says that these churches are not growing folks that will gain eternity. He gets harsh criticism for that. If you can past his personal convictions about the church, I think that there is so much to gain from this book. In it, he uses a parable to teach us a lesson on what the judgment seat of Christ is going to be like. He doesn't gloss over it to make it sound nice AT ALL. He's harsh and states that if we don't get it together here, we could miss it. He doesn't believe in "once saved always saved" because so many people think they are riding that train and really they don't have a ticket or even clue ONE about what being a follower of Christ is really about. He believes in a true, radical conversion and then living out your life surrendered to the will of God. Then and only then does he believe you are able to be heavenbound. The thing I walked away with after reading it is how I long to be in Heaven and hear Him say "well done." It made me want to live a HOLY life, and it made me want to be in the Word so much more than I have been. To me, any book that can instill that is a keeper.

2 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

wow!! I've gotta get that book!! I do like what you said about getting to Heaven and hearing God say "Well done!" Cause really, what are we doing right now in our lives that would make Him say that? It's not saying I went to church every Sunday, and did this or that...Its about the heart. Are you truly sold out? Awesome! I definitely want to get that book. Thanks for sharing!

1:20 PM  
Blogger caryn said...

You are welcome to borrow mine anytime if you want!

4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home